Who do I turn to if I am not happy with care received?

Every care provider should have a clear complaints procedure and it is advisable to initially try to sort out any issues or concerns with the Manager. However, if you remain dissatisfied then depending on where you live, you could speak with: The Care Quality Commission, telephone 03000 616161.

By |February 26th, 2016|Comments Off on Who do I turn to if I am not happy with care received?

Do I need a Solicitor to arrange an Enduring Power of Attorney?

No, but it is advisable to take legal advice. For further information about Enduring Power of Attorney contact the Public Guardianship office, your local Citizens Advice Bureau or a Solicitor.

By |February 26th, 2016|0 Comments

Can I insist my relative leave his or her own home and move into a care home?

People who may require care have the same rights as every other adult throughout the UK and, as long as they are mentally capable of making and communicating their own decisions, no-one can insist that they leave their own home. If you are concerned about an older relative’s (or friend’s) ability to care for themselves [...]

By |February 26th, 2016|0 Comments

Can the hospital discharge my relative before we’ve found care that the whole family is happy with?

Acute hospitals have an agreed policy to address this situation. If there is no clinical reason for your relative to remain in hospital and your chosen care home does not have any current vacancies, “transitional care” may be necessary. This is a temporary placement until a vacancy in your chosen home becomes available. The person [...]

By |February 26th, 2016|0 Comments

How do I know what to look for when choosing care?

Choosing care is a very personal decision and there will be issues specific to each individual situation when making decisions regarding care. It is important to make a short list of factors that are important to you or your relative. However, there are a number of issues that you should particularly take into consideration. For [...]

By |February 26th, 2016|Comments Off on How do I know what to look for when choosing care?

What type of care will be appropriate on a long-term basis?

The answer to this question will depend on a number of factors according to individual requirements and circumstances. Options include care at home, a care home, sheltered accommodation or a care home with nursing. It is important to take independent advice before making any long-term decisions.

By |February 26th, 2016|0 Comments

Is my relative entitled to financial assistance?

Depending on their circumstances, financial assistance is available to older people. For information on benefits, the Benefits Enquiry Line is a useful source of information – 0800 882200. For further advice, it is recommended that you contact an Independent Care Adviser.

By |February 26th, 2016|0 Comments

Where can I get financial advice?

A number of Independent Financial Advisers specialise in advising on long-term care. Before taking advice, it is recommended that you establish your IFA does have this specialist knowledge. The Association of Independent Care Advisers (AICA, tel 01483 203 066) maintains a register of specialist long-term care IFAs.

By |February 26th, 2016|0 Comments

How much is care going to cost?

Costs will vary greatly according to the type and level of care required, and the geographical location. Fees in a care home with nursing, for example, can vary from £450 per week to over £1,000 per week. It is advisable to speak to an Independent Care Adviser to address your individual needs.

By |February 26th, 2016|0 Comments

What is a Care Adviser?

A Care Adviser is an understanding professional who will listen to your needs, assess your individual care requirements and give the best possible advice on suitable care options. It is important to speak to a care adviser who is truly independent and does not accept commissions from care providers. An Independent Care Adviser will provide [...]

By |February 26th, 2016|0 Comments